Sunday, November 29, 2009

...born west on buffalo wings

...born west on buffalo wings

On 28 November 2009, I embarked to the western coast of America. As a messenger of Eastern values, a vessel for colonial history, born of the industrial state of New York, I performed a ritual by which the American continent gave me new birth as a sentient being. In the outgoing tide, I dug myself a watery grave in order to cleanse myself of my historical shell: an attempt to unite time and body: an artist of bodily sensation in the natural underworld. After the shock of my dissolution into the natural world, I reemerged endowed with a feeling deep into my bones. I am learning how to breath again! What follows is a brief record of the performance, '...born west on buffalo wings'. Images courtesy of Elizabeth Jaeger, Martin Frye and myself.

Copyright the artist 2009









the artist sheds artificial skin on the western rim



















the sea undertakes the dissolution of the artist









the essence of the dead artist flows unto the sea in return
















the being dons a woolen cloak and reenters the world anew








-Sam Korman 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment